Monday, June 06, 2005

Socks...They ROCK!

Name: Socks from Knitty Gritty's Sock-It-To-Me episode
Yarn: Berroco Pleasure in #8617 Verdigris
What I learned: Sock making is SWEET
Comments: My curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to see why people rave about knitting socks. Not to mention the fact that my husband expressed some interest in a pair. I watched this Knitty Gritty episode this spring, and remembered that they said it would be a good first sock. It was knit with a bulky yarn on #7 dpns. First, let me just say the Pleasure yarn lives up to its name. This is a gorgeous yarn. It is 66% angora, 29% merino, & 5% nylon and is constructed in a sort of I-cord. Very cool. It's a bit pricey, but heck it seems like everything I buy lately is. It was what the designer used in the show, and I'm rigid about using what is called for in the pattern.

I think I enjoyed knitting the socks so much for two reasons. First, it is very interesting how they transform in front of your eyes. Second, you don't say on one stitch pattern for very long and thus I don't get bored.

Now, look at those gorgeous gussets, those heavenly heel flaps, those tantalizing toe decreases! It's art I tell you, ART!

Don't worry, I haven't lost my mind. I know they aren't the most exciting socks you've ever seen. I'm just a proud parent.

8 Comments:

Blogger knittingnurse said...

Wow Amy! Those looks GREAT! Hold on, if you think you are hooked now, wait until you work with all that fun self-striping/overdyed sock yarn. The addiction is just in it's mere infancy, mark my words!!! Tee Hee!

10:13 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them so much. As for me, I don't see the allure of knitting socks. Looking good!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those are super cute. And totally useable! My first ever knitting project was a pair of socks and I never made any others; perhaps now that I am a more seasoned knitter I would get more pleasure out of it (rather than the massive frustration I experienced at the time). Yours really look great!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely! I've been wanting to knit socks but am not a big DPN fan. I just got a long inox circ for socks and will see how that goes.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

From the proud parent of the proud parent, who is going to get to wear those fabulous socks?! I'm not convinced they are your husband's first color choice.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

Amy those look great. socks are so much fun huh?

6:18 PM  
Blogger Faerynuff said...

You've been so busy...gorgeous work as usual!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are awesome! Your socks turned out great!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home