Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Kid n' Ewe


This past Saturday, Mom, the girls, and I headed out to Boerne, TX for the annual Kid n' Ewe & Llamas Too fiber festival. We started the morning by picking up kolaches in the small town I grew up in. Man, nothing in Katy even touches the yumminess of real Czech kolaches. We got to Boerne around 10:30 without incedent, which is an accomplishment carrying two 5-yr-olds. I have to say, I was a bit underwhelmed. It wasn't nearly as big as I thought it was going to be. We had fun nonetheless. The girls got to pet an alpaca, while Mom and I pet the beautiful yarn. There was only one yarn vendor there, the rest was geared more toward spinning. I was supposed to meet up with my new blog friend Jeanie, but circumstances out of her control lead to her not being able to attend. Maybe next time Jeanie?

There were two tiny yarn stores in town that we visited. When I say tiny, I mean TINY. They only carried a few balls of yarn. Humph! I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

All in all, we had a great time. The weather was beautiful and the company fantastic.

**side note** Those of you who loved the girls' gold clogs....Old Navy...super cheap....

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, I'm sorry that the festival wasn't more "yarny" for you. I got an email from a lady who lives in Austin who was terribly disappointed in the festival... so much so that she volunteered to help organize the next one. I'll email you with the details but I'm hoping next year is much better. And I WILL be there next year ;-)

BTW, we don't have to wait 'till the next festival to meet -- I say we meet in Houston some time for lunch and a good yarn crawl! Mom too!

So, did you learn to spin???

3:17 PM  
Blogger Jillio said...

ooh, i'd be all over that yarn!
the kiddies are absolutely adorable. props to their wicked cool golden clogs, too :P

4:04 PM  
Blogger chris said...

Sorry to hear that the festival was a little underwhelming, buut I'm glad to hear that you were still able to have a good time enjoying each other's company. I've said it before, but it warrants being said again- your girls are truly beautiful! And your mom is such a cutie, too! :-) I've never tried a kolache before- you make them sound so good! Hope you and Jeanie get another chance to meet up soon.

6:20 PM  
Blogger knittingnurse said...

The girls are just so darned cute!!! I DID love the gold clogs, BTW. sorry to hear about the festival but glad to hear that it turned into a good family "girls day".

6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like the kids had a good time - I'm sure you'll find something to spend that cash on ;o)

Oh, and consider yourself tagged...

9:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Well, maybe next year's festival will be more yarn filled. With the popularity of knitting, you never know!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I talked to the organizer - the fairgrounds changed it from their normal weekend (2nd weekend in November) and a lot of the vendors were not able to come with the change. *sigh* But it was still fun, and I was just happy to see the Brooks Farms yarns in person since that was my main goal in going there!

8:41 PM  
Blogger entrelac said...

I was there too! First fiber festival for me so I didn't really notice that it was that small. Also, I'm a spinner as well as a knitter so there was ALL kinds of stuff there for me to look at. ;) You might have seen me. I spent most of the morning camped out with the Heritage Arts ladies spinning on my Ashford Joy or teaching others to spin on drop spindles.

And from what the ladies in the Heritage Arts booth told me, one of the festival's biggest vendors -- Palanca Farm, owned and run by Jerry and Sylvie Cox -- was absent this year because Jerry Cox died the week before. I was very sad about that, I really wanted to meet them as I have owned and knitted their yarns and fibers for the past ten years and I wanted to tell them how well the yarns have held up and how great the fibers were to spin up. But anyway. Maybe for next year all Knittyfolk who go can agree on something to wear or carry that will identify them to other Knittyfolk. I would have LOVED to meet others there.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home