Thursday, October 13, 2005

Socktoberfest

First, let me give a shout out to Lolly for hosting Socktoberfest. There are some amazing sock knitters in the group. Y'all should really go check out their handiwork.

Oh, how I bemoaned these socks. Those of you in my knitting groups can attest to this. It is not the socks fault, but my husband's big feet (as evidenced by my 14" needle used as a point of reference). I probably spent as much time knitting these socks as a would a sweater. A man's foot + size 1 needles + fingering weight yarn = many, many hours.

I started sock #1 way back in June. After completion, I just had to put off sock #2. I SWORE I would not succumb to SSS (second sock syndrome), and here is the proof....



















Now for the gory details.

Pattern: Sock pattern from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildefoote in #SY-40 Gunsmoke
Comments: The pattern is super. It gives you instructions to knit socks for any gauge yarn. The Brown Sheep Wildefoot isn't that great in my opinion. It is rather of scratchy. I wasn't fond of the boring grey color either, but it was what he wanted.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your socks look great! They're almost exactly like the brown ones I'm making for HWWL! Fortunately though HWWL doesn't have a very big foot, so I got off easy ;-)

7:27 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

they look great! see you tonight!

9:16 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Those are big socks! And big feet! Thanks for letting me know that I should never offer to knit socks for Peter and his size 13 feet.

But the socks look good :-) I admire your persistence.

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool...
1) That he would wear hand knit socks.
2) That you would knit boring, big socks, just for him.
3) That he would pose for a picture!!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Congrats on the, er, monster socks? socktober fest is so much fun!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look awesome! I have some Wildfoote, too, & thought it was kinda scratchy. I know what you mean about knitting in boring color. :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Lovely socks! It might have not been yours (or my) color choice, but he loves them which is what counts! Hurrah!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you for perservering and finishing both socks! You did a great job even if you hated the color and the yarn.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What luxurious yet manly socks! And speaking of manly, I think a little scratchiness for the menfolk is a good thing. It allows them to feel rugged and tough. Yeah.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are great! Nice straight stitches you got going on there. So...what's he gettin' you in return for his ginormous socks? ;o)

1:11 PM  
Blogger JustApril said...

the socks are WONDERFUL - very professional - I hope when I do socks for my guy I can do half as well. I started a swatch on size ones today to help decide what to use for my first real sock (as in size 1, 2 or 3) and I totally freaked out because it was SO frustrating. So KUDOS to you girl, that's scary!

3:46 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

I am soooo proud of you! You did a great job and so did your model.

4:35 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

I am SOOO proud of you and quite impressed with your model. Great work, a true labor of love.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Ginger said...

Wow, nice looking socks. Wow, big feet. Well, that just convinced me that I will never be making socks for my dh in fingering yarn . . . DK all the way here. ;)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

My husband has asked for socks, but I haven't been able to get myself to cast on what he wants ... long, black, and dull. Major kudos to you for getting those done for your DH. They look great.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Why, why, why must husbands always want the most boring socks in the world? Grey ribbed socks. That's what my DH wants too. Sigh.

Yours look fab, and you are Sock Knitter of the Year for perservering through those. :)

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home