Saturday, October 08, 2005

Some more early birthday presents & teaching


I love the idea that you can buy things for yourself without guilt when it's your birthday.

I present to you the Sew E-Z blocking board in the large size. It is a totally frivolous purchase, because Lord knows I could continue blocking things on towels on the carpet. This is just more snazzy. I wanted it, I had a 50% off coupon from Joann's, so what the heck.

The second item was an impulse buy when I was at Barnes & Noble on Friday. It's the 2006 Knitting Pattern a Day box calendar. Fun stuff!

Several of y'all asked me to give more info on the knitting classes that I'm teaching. I decided to sign up for the CYCA's certified knitting instructor program. Right now, I am just striving for the Level 1 instructor. This certifies me to teach beginning level classes. You have to have 15 hours of teaching experience, samples of your work in a binder format, and an oral exam. I was concerned that I would have a hard time coming up with the teaching hours, but the word got out. I'll probably have over 20 hours under my belt when it is all said and done. I've enjoyed bringing others "into the fold", and am looking forward to starting the Level 2 instructor program.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great birthday gifts! Sounds wonderful that you're on your way to be a certified instructor.

5:56 PM  
Blogger knittingnurse said...

Wow, I didn't even know that you could become certified for that. Good for you! AND, good for you for spoiling yourself. What a great gift for yourself. The 'frivolous' things are always the most fun, don't you think?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Great early birthday gifts!

Good for you for working towards being a certified instructor. Sounds like fun!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

very coll blocking board!!! when is your b-day? see you at the meeting thursday night:)

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO JEALOUS! I have had my eye on that blocking board for ages, but my stupid spending freeze won't let me even think about getting it. And my birthday isn't until February. I'll just send my unblocked FOs to you for a blocking service, 'kay?

That is so cool about the instructor certification! Is it just for fun, or eventually a potential income stream through a LYS?

7:08 AM  
Blogger Geoknitter said...

Yay for blocking boards! I don't think it's frivolous at all, you NEEDED it. :)

12:40 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I have that blocking board- it's the best! I did Levels 1 and 2 of the CYCA program last summer- have fun!

6:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Always a good excuse to treat yourself!

That blocking board's going on my wish list!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

ooohh, it's fun to spoil ourselves on our birthday, no? I am very jelous of that calendar, I must keep an eye out for one in my area. Happy birthday to you, when ever it is!
p.s. I love the hats & scarves you made for the girls, they look like their having fun!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Very nice gifts, Amy. You have excellent taste! Now, tell me how to get that Joanne's coupon, because I must have that blocking board!! :)

6:53 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

I SO covet that blocking board. that has totally been on my wish list for years now.
can i have yours?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Tracy Batchelder said...

I haven't ever seen blocking boards at my Joann's. I'm going to ask about them next time. What a great deal at 50% off!

12:29 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

I have the 2005 pattern a day calendar and love it.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home