Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Scarf-o-Rama

I told Sheryl a while back that I would rather blow my brains out than knit a scarf. I have paid my dues when it comes to scarf knitting, as most of us knitters have. It is a beginning knitters rite of passage I suppose. I have nothing against scarves, per se. Wearing a scarf always makes me feel sassy (berets do too, but that is another story). I just can't bear to knit them anymore. So I won't...I'll crochet one....

Yarn: Malabrigo in Bobby Blue, the trim is Rowan Wool Cotton in Mocha



Ahhh....my first crochet project. I've been bit by the crochet bug. Next up, a skirt



Now on to some momma pride. I commissioned my daughter R (age 6) to do a shop sample for Yarntopia. It paid off. The RT scarf has sold a yarn we been trying to move since we opened. When I put it on display at the shop, R insisted that I put on the tag that she finished it in two days. That's my little knitting prodigy!



Yarn: Two balls of Berroco Tutu, I forget the color. Cast on 7 st with a #17 and knit until you run out.


My last picture is not exactly as scarf. It is really more of a wrap, but it is pretty darn scarf-like. I knit one of these over a year ago for my blog friend ThatFarmGirl . I had quite a bit of the yarn left over, so I thought I would knit one up for myself.


Pattern: Daphne from French Girl

Yarn: Rowan Summer Tweed #524 Cotton Bud

Comments: This is the best smelling yarn on the planet. I am a chronic yarn sniffer, so I should know. The pattern is very easy with a cool crochet like look to it.



14 Comments:

Blogger Mary Ann said...

I love that first picture of you. The wisp of hair across your face is charming. And all the scarves are fabulous.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Cirilia said...

Yeah, is that a haircut I missed somehow? I really like it!

Also--I'm amazed that your daughter could knit with such a...uh...novel...novelty. There is a lot going on in that one.

Thought of you recently because I'm choosing yarn colors for a project that will probably take me YEARS to knit and the only color combo that I can come up with is brown and blue!

5:35 AM  
Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Your scarf is fantastic. Tell Miss R that I'm proud of her, too. Such talent! And though I've not worn my wrap on a deserted island beach as you imagined, I have worn it many other places and received compliments each and every time. You are right -- it does smell wonderful.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Gorgeous scarves! Your little one should be very proud with her scarf. It's beautiful!

6:46 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

The scarves are great! The crocheted one is in Yarntopia colors, too. Soon you'll be a crochet expert. Is Sheryl also teaching little R to crochet?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

She finished that scarf in two days!?! I am sooooo impressed!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! I skipped the whole scarf knitting thing when I learned to knit and decided to jump on in and knit a sweater. I did pay my dues later on with what feels like hundreds of scarves for charity. Plus, I've got enough scarves to wear a different one everyday of our short Georgia winters. Your crochet scarf is lovely.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

proud mama is right! what a great job--by both of you, really.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Crochet too? Is there anything you can't do with yarn? :)

I'm impressed with RT's scarf and your marketing ploy is wonderful. I totally want to knit that scarf for my sister. Tell R that I can't wait to see what she does next! I'll probably be calling you soon for some new yarn!

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything is beautiful! Your daughter did a great job - and that shawl is fabulous!!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all look great (congratulations on your first crochet project!) but I particularly like that last one. It looks as though it could be very versatile.

Big cheers for your knitting prodigy, too! I hope she gets a cut of your proceeds from that yarn.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your scarf, I think you did a great job for your first crochet project and prodigy indeed I have been toying with idea of teaching my son to knit thinking he was too young at 7 but I was obviously wrong. I'm impressed.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Go Miss R! Good job!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Awesome job on the crocheted scarf! Love those two colours together, too.

FANTABULOUS job on your scarf R! And you did it in 2 days, that is awesome!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home