Monday, June 12, 2006

Back from TNNA

TNNA market is the semi-annual market for the yarn and needlepoint industry. Sheryl decided to stay behind this time to mind the shop. Not wanting me to go by myself, she suggested that I take my sweet mother along with me for company. My mother is an awesome travel companion, and it was nice to have another person's opinion on buying decisions. She has much more conservative tastes than I do, which is reflective of our customer base. I missed having my girl Sheryl there though!

Because we had already bought most of our fall yarn from the reps before the show, I went looking for other goodies. I picked up TONS of new patterns, must notably all of the new French Girl designs. When y'all see how gorgeous they are, y'all are going to flip your lid! Here is a picture of me with my good friend Kristeen, the designer of French Girl. Her patterns are as lovely as she is. Look for her ad in Interweave and Knit Scene. She was kind enough to ask us to participate in her ad. **edit** I took the picture out so as not to give away any previews of her patterns. Y'all will just have to wait!** AMY

I also bought some new bags from Della Q and Lexie Barnes. I won't be able to get the new Lexie's until October, but Della had all over her new stuff. Gorgeous silks and embroidery details on her bags and needle cases. Here is Della in all of her cuteness.


At the show, other shop owners wait in HUGE lines to get books signed by famous authors. Me? You've got to be kidding! You just have to know how to work it. Next, I give you the famous Louisa Harding. She is quite charming and so kind. My LH rep sent her a picture of the Louisa Harding display we had a the store, and she remembered! Way to go Sheryl with your awesome decorating skills!


Finally, may I present the great Debbie Bliss. She was so down to earth and kind. I was looking through her new book with her (fabulous by the way....all I'm saying is "100 % cashmere") when I came across a pattern for a shrug that would look adorable on my girls. I told her as much, and she asked me if I had a picture. I whipped one out toot sweet! She said she would like to use them as models in some of her upcoming books. Too bad I don't live in England! I was so proud.

Enough of my star struck ramblings. Here are the trends that I saw in knitting for fall:

  • Hot colors - Warm shades of orange & brown
  • Techniques - Lots of cables and beadwork
  • More patterns for larger sizes, knitted jewelry, & less novelty yarn. I saw a lot of more classic designs, but with a slight twist to make them interesting.

20 Comments:

Blogger Mintyfresh said...

Did I not notice the haircut previously? Looks great, Amy! Sounds like an amazing event--can't wait to see the fruits of your labors!

6:54 PM  
Blogger strangelittlemama said...

wow, you are practically famous!! How much fun was THAT???@@

6:56 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

WOW! how fun :) thnaks for getting the heads up on the trends for us! i saw that inspired cable knits book in your store, loved it! and your girls should be models ;)

7:06 PM  
Blogger knittingnurse said...

OK, so I THINK (?) your hair was longer in the first shot? Did you get it cut there or did I just miss the cut before? Either way, I LIKE IT!

As for all the info, THANKS! I can't wait to see your girls do some modeling (?) They really are naturals!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

How fun!

Did you get a haircut! You look lovely!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just can't wait to see more fall things now! I may just have to stop unpacking and stop by the shop to hear more about it.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Rain said...

Check you with all the knitterly fame!

It looks like you had a fab day and got some gorgeous stuff for the store.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

Wow! Looks like you had an awesome time! How exciting!

Did you get a haircut? You look so cute and modern =)

6:19 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

cables cables cables cables cables!

TNNA looks like so much fun! I think I would be in heaven if I ever went.

Fun to see all the famous people! Not at all as I would have imagined them.

6:24 AM  
Blogger traveling knitter said...

You are going to have to hire crowd control because pretty soon you will need it with all this cool new stuff!!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Geoknitter said...

I love the haircut too! You're inspiring me to go even shorter.... :)

8:02 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hey, let that other continent thing stop the girls from modeling for DB! She can send photographers here to get their shots and then put it all together.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I was in Alchemy's booth, right across from Lexie, but never saw you around. I didn't get to walk the floor much but I thought the trend in the fashion show was oversized and shapeless.

8:41 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

That sounds like so much fun!!! I love the new do by the way. Short hair is the way to go for Texas summers :)

8:29 AM  
Blogger knittinmom said...

So, how do you get all those great pics? I thought cameras were strictly verboten on the show floor...am I wrong, or are you just a wee bit of a criminal ;-) ?

I just made my reservations for the winter show. I can not wait!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a great time...I am glad to hear there will be less novelty yarn. So glad.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, your trend assesment has me very excited -- sounds very much in line with my own knitting preferences.

What fun, rubbing elbows with the knitting superstars!

3:12 PM  
Blogger JustApril said...

Sounds like great fun! Aren't moms wonderful? All and all a very successful TNNA =)*)

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TNNA looks like it was a lot of fun! I noticed the haircut right away. It looks fabulous on it. Very chic!

I hope Debbie Bliss uses your daughters as models. They would be great!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

Ok, so I went searching online for the French Girl patterns that you love so much and wear so well.

Long Story Short, don't assume anything. DO NOT type in Frenchgirl.com and hit enter. Trust me on this.

- A public service message from Cousin Penny

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home