Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My summer of selfish knitting

A few post ago, I mentioned that I was hesitant about knitting shop samples. I worried about people critiquing my work. Sheryl and I talked about it some more, and we figured out the REAL reason why I don't want to just knit for the shop. We put so much of our blood, sweat, and tears into Yarntopia, we don't want to also give up the main reason why we got into the business in the first place. Knitting for pleasure. When you knit for work, it's work. We have plenty of people who are clamoring to sample knit for the shop, so we are going to let them.

Thus begins my summer of selfish knitting.



Pattern: Gina from Rowan's The Bigger Picture
Designer: Kim Hargreaves
Yarn: Rowan Biggy Print #260 Mermaid
Needles: US #35 straights
Comments: This yarn has been calling me ever since I opened the store. In fact, I think this is the first yarn I have bought (other than the Yarntopia sock yarn) since opening. Such restraint!

Just a few complaint about this knit. Because of the bulkiness of the yarn (5.5 st / 4 in) the seams are bulky. I couldn't get my gauge right, so I just went down to the extra small size. It fits perfectly. And finally, it took WAY more yarn than the pattern said. Three balls to be exact.

The hair clip was used out of desperation. Sheryl and I plan to get some gorgeous shawl pins for the shop soon.

Now, let me present you with.....





Pattern: City Shawl
Designer: Stefanie Japel
Yarn: Araucania Quellon #7
Comments: Another green and blue combination. Can you tell I love green and blue?

This was a simple and satisfying knit. Love the end product. The yarn is a hand dyed cotton chenille that is SO soft. It worms, but you just have to get over it.

(a small plug for Stefanie) I love all of Stefanie's designs. Her fashion sense is similar to mine and her garments are all easy knits. She must hate to seam as much as I do! Check out her latest design that will be coming out soon. We have already ordered it for the shop. You will see me wearing the short sleeve version as soon as I can get my grubby hands on the pattern.

Finally, thank y'all for all of your sweet comments on my new 'do. It has taken me a while to get used to the length, but I must admit is is a lot cooler in the Houston heat.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm so glad you guys are going to let other people knit for the store. You both should enjoy your knitting! The new knits are gorgeous! I like the Rowan Biggy Print, but it does make for a bulky FO. Looks like it will be perfect for this winter.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clamor clamor clamor! Knit for yourself -- between being a mom and a businesswoman you certainly deserve some selfish knitting. The coat is awesome and the shawl is Houston-temperature-friendly. I'm also looking forward to the latest from Glampyre. It's gorgeous.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann said...

I'm probably a little prejudiced, but I think those were both lovely pictures of you.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not selfish knitting! You and Sheryl put in a lot of work into Yarntopia. You need to knit for yourself. Totally understandable. Love the two new finished projects!

12:27 PM  
Blogger knittingnurse said...

WOW! Those look great. Hey, you look like a teenager in the jacket picture. That hair is suiting you very well! tee hee.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They both look great! :o))

5:06 PM  
Blogger Chrissy said...

Both projects look great! The sweater is truly fabulous and will be perfect for fall.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

awesome looking jacket! I love it!!!!! I have had my eye on that city shawl pattern... you did a great job. glad your back in the swing of things ;) hope you guys enjoyed the day off yesterday, you deserve it!

6:52 AM  
Blogger JustApril said...

Good choice about letting others do the store knitting, mainly because I think knitting shouldn't be about work TOO much, or it gets to be no fun anymore. I second or third all the comments that said you've been working super hard on the store, and now you deserve some "you time". Your new knits turned out great!

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to see you knitting for yourself again! And excellent pattern choices too!

8:10 AM  
Blogger SAM said...

I LOVE the way the sweater turned out. Did anyone else catch the City Shawl pose? Stefanie's new design is GORGEOUS. I will leave that one for your body.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

Wow! Both knits look great. Good for you to knit for yourself =)

6:20 AM  
Blogger thatfarmgirl said...

Totally gorgeous knitting as usual!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

Yeah for selfish knitting! (it's about all I do, I have to admit!) I LOVE that you can pull off that sweater/jacket. I can't even imaging the big green ball of puff I'd be in something like that! Lucky you - although, I do hope you get enough cool days in Houston to wear it!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

People love to be part of things. Having some of your customers knit samples is a good way to share Yarntopia with them.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those both look great! And the colors are practically coordinated...though I guess there's never a instance in which you could wear both at the same time without getting weird looks. :)

Good for you with the selfish knitting! After months upon months of knitting only gifts for others last year, I declared 2006 the Year of Selfish Knitting. So far it's working out great!

7:40 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

Good for you! Nothing kills a loved hobby like turning it into something you HAVE to do.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! May I use your Quellon shawl photo to show what can be knitted with this lovely yarn, please? Thank you!

Sue F
http://www.littleknits.com

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home